Saturday, July 17, 2004

I feel your pain

A friend of mine is driving across the country, from California to Massachusetts, to bring someone's minivan to them. That, to me, is really cool. I love roadtrips. I love the open road. She visited me here in St. Louis, about halfway to her destination, and said that she had been listening to a lot of Christian radio along the way. I guess with just a tape player and a radio that was about the only option through Oklahoma and Kansas and Missouri. She had also been listening to Bill Clinton's book on tape, which she lent to me. I'm hoping I get a chance to listen to it, because I'm definitely interested to hear it. Plus, he reads it himself, and I kind of miss hearing him speak. Sort of in the way you miss hearing your parents speaking in the other room, like everything is going to be ok. Everything was ok when he was President. Sure, America had problems. The world had problems. But with Bill, it was going to be alright. Maybe listening to his book will help me return to those more innocent times. I did wonder about the title though. "My Life"?? You couldn't come up with a better title to an autobiography than "My Life"?? Come on, Bill.
 
On another note, my friend's name is Cora Stryker, and another function of her cross-country trip is to distribute copies of her novel to independent bookstores in various cities. She's self-publishing and doing everything herself. That, to me, is amazing.  



1 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I was watching an interview with Bill the other day, and had this incredible pang of nostalgia, not just for the sugary drawl, but because everything he says just makes sense. Funny how we took logic for granted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home