Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Welcome to my world

Don't feel compelled to read the whole thing, but Bill Simmons is an excellent columnist, and one read-through of his latest column should give you a sense of what I (and millions of others) go through as Sox fans. This is my mindset right here, and he's captured it perfectly.

On another note, I really like the idea that so many races (AL West, NL Wild Card, President of the United States) are coming down to the wire. It's nice. It makes you feel like the teams are fair and the talent is spread out.

Finally: baseball in DC. It's a reality. No more schlepping to Ball-mur. Not that there's anything wrong with Ball-mur, except....it's Ball-mur. I wasn't clear on WHERE exactly the new stadium was supposed to be, though. Anacostia? And confirmation on that?

5 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...why do you have to crap on B-more? I mean, come on...give it a chance, what did it ever do to you? But, alas, though my Dad strongly disagrees, I like the fact that the Xpos are coming to DC, harkening back to the days of the Senators. I think it's deserving and nostalgic and it would be cool to take in some NL games. And think of the inner-league play cross town rivalry!
And yes, they are building a stadium along the Anacostia waterfront in SE...it had already started being redeveloped and this should do the trick...should be interesting...
BTW...saw the boys last night...awesome...
-D$

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just glad I won't have to wait another 4 years to see the Giants play here. Have you read "A Fan's Notes" (or Hornby's *version* "Fever Pitch")? It's less of a sports novel and more of an obsession driven memior.

The Southeast Stadium doesn't open until 2008.

Some people just don't understand how the winning of a baseball or football (American or World version) game can actually make a difference in one's happiness. It does MATTER! The score of a game can turn an okay day into a amazing day, or a good day into a terrible day. It does impress me how Sox fans can go year after year, disappointment after disappointment and still come back for more.

I think I'd rather just bury my head in the sand, and maybe peek out to see if the Giants did indeed clinch a playoff spot.

{{On another note, I really like the idea that so many races (AL West, NL Wild Card...) are coming down to the wire}}

Coming from someone whose team has already clinched.

noah

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

I haven't read Fever Pitch, but I've heard of it. Sounds like it'd be my kind of book.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

So where are the new Washington Expos going to play in the meantime, while the stadium is being built?

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They'll be playing at RFK Stadium until 2008--this hopefully will mean most of the games will not sell out.

While Fever Pitch is an easier read (less emotionally draining), A Fan's Notes is a far superior memior. Frederick Exley is a mad genius.

noah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home