Sunday, May 15, 2005

KC

Kia and I returned this afternoon from a day in Kansas City, where we saw my grandparents and mother, who were scouting out potential spots for the family reunion in October. What, you may ask, did we see on our travels?

-An overwhelmingly large (even disproportionate, you might say) number of fireworks places. Why people along I-70 in Missouri feel the need to blow up a lot of things, all the time, is beyond me...so far.

-Also, an overwhelmingly large (even disproportionate number, you might say) number of nostalgia places. I guess they were selling nostalgic merchandise. There was also an Elvis museum we passed. Didn't look too promising.

-Mexico, MO. Yes, we went through Mexico. And let me tell you: what happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico. Interpret that as you will.

-A bumper sticker that read (I kid you not): "I'd rather be bow hunting." Oh yes. That's from a movie, right? Help me out. I feel like this is from a movie, maybe "Kicking and Screaming," or possibly some John Cusack flick.

-A scaled-down Walmart, I wish I could remember what it was called. It was green, and small(-er) and was supposed to look like a nice little mom and pop store. It makes you sick, because you know they kicked a real mom and pop out to get there.

-And in preparation for the long drive from St. Louis to Oberlin in two weeks, I began learning to drive a stick-shift car. I had attempted once with not much luck, but maybe this time will be more successful.

5 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

Judging by the looks of this guy in his pickup truck, something tells me it wasn't a "Kicking and Screaming" reference.

And I know Walgreens, and this wasn't a Walgreens. They have those here. The name was something like "Walmart Community Shop" or something to imply coziness. Sickening.

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ABJ...
Do you know where I can get a copy of Kicking and Screaming...I've been looking all over for it and no one has a copy and it's been on Showtime at like 4 in the morning, but, alas, I do not have showtime....
-D$

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger ABJ said...

D$, they should have at least a VHS copy at any good video store. Probably not on DVD though. And if you're desperate, my friend Dave has it. It's been watched about 43,769 times, though, so the quality might be sucky.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger sierradave said...

Yes, I do have it, and it has only been watched 37,523 times. Jerk!

They never put it out on DVD, so you have to get it on VHS. Should definitely be in most video stores.
-DK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home