Monday, May 02, 2005

Tweedy likes ABBA

David sent me a list of Jeff Tweedy's 20 favorite songs, including his comments about them. I thought I'd pass them along:

"Express Yourself" -Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band "I can't think of a more righteous song."

"Dancing Queen" -ABBA "A brilliant arrangement. I guess when you've written the best chorus ever it makes sense to put it first."

"Balancing Act" -Volcano Suns "The refrain, 'It matters, it matters, it matters to me' still matters a great deal to me"

"Born to Run" -Bruce Springsteen "In the fourth grade I took a cassette of this to school convinced I could pass it off as a home recording of me and my band. Enough said."

"Dream On" -Aerosmith "The first two singles I ever bought were this and Magic by Pilot"

"Outdoor Miner" -Wire "Back when I was supposed to be going to college my friend Nick Sakes and I would skip our classes and go drink tequila in his basement. We would totally fucking hurt ourselves screaming along to Wire."

"The Kiss" -Judee Sill "Just about the most heartbreaking piece of music I've ever heard."

"Don't Fear the Reaper" -Blue Oyster Cult "Wilco started doing this one before the 2004 elections."

"Something in the Air" -Thunderclap Newman "'Hand out the arms and ammo/We're gonna blast our way through here/We've got to get together sooner or later/Because the revolution's here.' I'm not an advocate of violent political solutions, but I'll be damned if this song doesn't make you feel you'd be ready if need be."

"Be Not So Fearful" -Bill Fay "Another song that Wilco covers. 'Be not so sorry for what you've done,' a sadly under-appreciated sentiment."

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" -Bob Dylan "I could fill a hundred lists with Dylan tunes. This just popped into my head."

"Rock and Roll" -The Velvet Underground " Loaded is my favorite VU record and this is just one of the reasons why."

"Turn! Turn! Turn!" -The Byrds "I have to pick a Byrds song because it would be stupid not to. A scratchy 7-inch handed down from my sister.

"Get Back in the Line" -The Kinks "I could pick at least 20 Kinks songs."

"Anarchy in the UK" -Sex Pistols "In high school I would listen to this before falling asleep. I used to dream about performing it in the school talent show. Allof my classmates would die with shit in their pants."

"Tired of Being Alone" -Al Green "One of the most honest love songs ever. Not that romantic, really."

"I am the Cosmos" -Chris Bell "The lyric, 'Every night I tell myself I am the cosmos' seals this for me. Despair and '70s self-help, simultaneously."

"The Weight" -The Band "My band Uncle Tupelo were lucky enough to play some shows with the Band in the early '90s. Rick Danko was actually onstage, checking us out. After a while I couldn't take any more and turned around and told him I was losing my mind trying to play bass and sing in front of one of my all-time heros."

"I Still Miss Someone" -Johnny Cash "We also got to open for Johnny Cash. His wife June even offered to take us home to give us a bath."

Mystery 20th song! "I have no idea what my favourite 20 songs are, these are just the first 19 to pop into my head. If I leave this one open I'll always be able to add the song I'm listening to now..."

3 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Totally unrelated, but a possible break in the whole "Who is this other ABJ?" mystery... There is an ABJ who posts on the TWoP Amazing Race forum...is that you? Or could it be (dun dun DUN!) another ABJ?

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

Another ABJ??? Impossible. And what's this TWoP Amazing Race forum?

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh. TWoP is www.televisionwithoutpity.com, also known as my procrastination downfall. ABJ posts on the Spoilers forum for The Amazing Shame.

And now that I have disclosed my shameful geeky-reality-TV-loving-side, I will go hide in the corner.

--Jen (I'm too lazy to log in)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home