Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Late night in the land of get-rich-quick schemes

I was hoping I could go for the Euro trifecta (three straight posts about European-related sports), but unfortunately there just ain't much more to talk about right now than the Tour de France and wife carrying. Except perhaps European Football.

But I will tell you that I had an awful night of what was apparently food poisoning or some other foodbourne illness. The sharp pain in my stomach set in around 7 or so, and continued throughout the evening. By the time Kia had to go to sleep, it was clear that I would be doing no such thing. So I bid her goodnight and sat down for some good late night TV. It started out promisingly enough, with some Letterman and Conan. Unfortunately, it went rapidly downhill from there. The number of infomercials and "financial independence" shows was outstanding. It seems that insomniacs really want to get rich without having to work too hard. I guess I can't blame them. But at some point, I just wanted to get sick and get it over with so I could get some sleep. And that happened a few times. I think I finally passed out around 4.

The one highlight (if you can call it that) was around 3:30am, when I saw a live news conference with Bush and the prime minister of Denmark in Copenhagen. My food-poisoned brain found this odd, but then I realized that it's much later in Europe than it is Missouri. (See, I was able to work in Europe after all). Oh, and Bush's first comment to the assembled crowd was that he would recommend the cake he had just been eating. Oh George, you're so witty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home