Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Feelin' Loopy

I've found myself in the Loop alot lately, this area of St. Louis. We used to live closer to it and would go there more, but not so much anymore up until recently. In the past week I saw 2 bands with guys I knew in them, downstairs at this restaurant called the Red Sea. I had never been to this place before, not even to eat, and then saw shows there twice last week. Bizarro. But they were good shows and kind of made me want to be in a band again.

In other music notes, while I was killing time Thursday in the Loop I picked up a copy of "Fever to Tell" (Yeah Yeah Yeahs). I thought I'd check them out and represent Oberlin a little. The album grows on you. Good stuff.

Movies, movies, movies...Sunday night we saw "A Scanner Darkly" at Tivoli (also in the Loop), starring Keanu. I liked it. The special effects alone were enough to make one utter a Keanu-like "Whoa". Although if you saw "Waking Life" you won't be as impressed.

I have now caught up with a couple of other movies I should have seen. One of these was the Gay Cowboy movie. I think it lived up to the hype, although it was somewhat different than what I was expecting. And something else - during the first love scene between the guys, the version Kia and I watched was really dark, almost impossible to see anything. I took this as an artistic choice by the director, but Pete then told me that in his version you could see everything. Apparently, Blockbuster is behind this ridiculousness, and it is a completely normal practice for them. I guess I had never encountered it face to face before.

I also finally saw "Pulp Fiction". That's all there is to say about that. It's been out since 1994 and I only just saw it. I'm now caught up on 12 years of references that I had been missing. So I can now say "Royale with cheese" knowingly to someone and really know what I'm talking about.

Finally, in one of the more spontaneous things I've done lately, I decided just two days ago that I'm going to NYC this weekend to visit Pete. Turns out that Bekah is abandoning him to go to DC, while Kia is going to be visiting Hilda (MVP! MVP!) in Nashville. So it'll be a little boys weekend in the big bad Brooklyn. Fun times.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blockbuster also donates money to pro-life organizations too...those supa christians sure do know how to pull one over on you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home