Monday, May 07, 2007

A weighty issue

Playing around with a BMI calculator, I discovered that at my current height of 6'2" and weight of 180 lbs., I fall solidly within the "Normal" weight class. However, fiddling with the numbers a little, I found that I would be pushed into the "Overweight" group if I gained just 15 pounds. The same would happen if I were the same weight and just a few inches shorter (say, 5'11"). For some reason, this was surprising. I've pretty much always been skinny, lanky, what have you. Except for a period when I was a baby, when I was apparently kind of a pudge. Weight has so rarely been a thought in my mind and I've always just taken for granted that I was a healthy, if sometimes scrawny, weight. So it came as a surprise that I was as close to being overweight as that.

Now I'm probably over-reacting. I would assume that 15 pounds would sort of take some effort to put on, especially given the fact that I've been the same weight since, oh, 9th grade. But still, a strange thought for me.

Now how much weight would I have to gain to be obese...?

Answer: 54 pounds

4 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger kate said...

fatty.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

Oh Kate B-J-R...

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many empty calories from red wine it would take to gain 15 pounds...

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger kate said...

you're my brother, so you're a B-J-R too, Aaron. you can't escape it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home