Sunday, February 13, 2005

Eureka! And other tidbits

Lots of things to cover here, let's get to it.

-Pats. Super Bowl. DYNASTY! That word is being thrown around a lot, but I think in this case it's appropriate. I mean, you just KNEW they were going to win, didn't you? At least I did. That caused a bit of a problem with Kia, since she's a huge Donovan McNabb fan, but I think she'll get over it. They just know how to get it done in the big games, and they make it interesting in the process. Three Super Bowl wins by a total of nine points. That's excitement. Teddy Bruschi put it well when he said they play well in "hat and t-shirt games," when they get hats and t-shirts for winning. I like the idea that these huge well-paid athelets are playing for hats and t-shirts. I also think it's great that his name is pronounced "brewski," as in "Pass me another brewski." The only way his name could be better for a football player would be if it was "Teddy Cheese Fries" or "Teddy Pork Rinds."

-"Sideways": I finally saw it. Great film. I'm really surprised that Paul Giamatti got passed over for a best actor nomination. I have also had a craving for red wine since I saw it. Is that weird?

-My IM basketball season got cut short, a lot shorter than most of us thought it would be. We lost on Thursday night in the second round of the playoffs. We weren't really on our game, but managed to go to overtime (who goes to overtime in an intramural basketball game??), and we eventually lost. The team who beat us was the same law school team who has beaten us in the IM flag football championship the past two years in a row. So this makes three (3) times that this same group of future lawyers has removed our psych department team from the playoffs. As Pedro would say, "I just tip my hat and call this law school team my daddy."

-Kia is taking an architecture class, which looks really interesting and challenging, but also pretty complicated. I guess designing buildings is a pretty complicated business. Anyway, one of their projects this semester is to design an actual house for actual clients who will use one of the designs to build a new house on a plot of land they bought. And one of Kia's assignments was to go look at the plot, to get a better idea of what it's like. So yesterday, we decide to take a trip out to Eureka, Missouri, WAAAAYYYY out in the middle of nowhere. It's beautiful, very quiet, sort of picturesque, a place you might want to go camping. So we get to the site, and Kia's checking it out, and we have the dogs with us and they're tearing around the forest, and then she's seen enough so we get back in the car. And it won't start. And Kia tries again, and it won't start. This is where it starts to feel like a movie: out in the middle of nowhere, car won't start, and it's starting to get dark. So we call AAA, and they send a tow truck. Of course, these roads aren't really marked, it's all undeveloped land, and there's no way anyone could find us. So we're sitting there for a while, and the tow guy keeps calling because he can't find us. So we take the dogs and start walking all the way back to the main road. And meanwhile it's getting darker and darker, and we can see less and less. Finally, we get to the main road and find the tow truck. He takes Kia back up to the car, and I wait with the dogs in the dark. While they're gone, I hear some strange noises, rustling, odd howls, and Teak keeps growling at something. Eventually, they get back, with the car on the tow truck, and we all get in. That's when the tow truck guy tells us that there are wolves and bobcats (BOBCATS??) around here. So that's probably what I heard. I've never seen a bobcat. I don't know that I care to. I'm hoping Teak and Moose would have protected me, but I'm not so confident they would have. The moral of the story: no more trips to Eureka.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger aaron said...

My aunt lives out in Eureka. I'm seeing her when I visit.

Bobcats are cool. Their name has a person's name in it. Makes you wonder if the coolest guy at the campfire around which they were named had been edgar instead of bob if they might be EDGARCATS.

But no, Edgar was not cool, and couldn't hold his rotgut whiskey, and that children is why they are called bobcats.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger ABJ said...

This is long overdue, but Noah -- to be a REALLY GOOD dynasty, a team has to blow other teams out in the Super Bowl?? Winning it all three times in four seasons just doesn't do it for you? Those are some high standards, my friend.

And just to give you a sample of some of the "blowouts" that you are referring to:

Super Bowl XIII:
Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31

Super Bowl X:
Pittsburgh 21, Dallas 17

Super Bowl XXIII:
San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16

 

Post a Comment

<< Home