Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight

I guess I picked an interesting weekend to re-visit all the old haunts of Maryland and DC. I was there this past weekend. And wouldn't you know it, the day after I get there, Reagan dies. I'm not really sure what to think of that. Maybe it's a sign. So there was that. And the next day was D-Day. And that's a big deal too, more for the French than for us, and with good reason. And yet, somehow with all of this going on I managed to almost completely avoid the media superhypermegablitz, thanks to my three good friends -- alcohol, Chipotle, and the Metro. I'd have to say that I spent about 75% of my weekend with, or on the way to, one of these three treasures. And I certainly wouldn't have made it through the weekend without them.

I got to see my mom and sister, as well as my uncle, aunt, and cousin, and his girlfriend, all of whom happened to be there at the same time too. My cousin had never seen the White House before, so we went over there, following the throngs. Once we got there, it was the usual, "Yep, there it is" type of reaction. Not much to see that you haven't seen on The West Wing or that movie "Dave", where the regular Joe Shmoe guy becomes the president. (I only mentioned that because I just saw some of it on cable again the other day. Great movie. My favorite part is when they sing "Tomorrow" out on the street in front of the cops). Anyway, that was the White House. I think my favorite part about being there is seeing the tourists who, instead of photographing the place, are actually taking video of it. Like they expect at any minute it will sprout legs, pull up its roots, and start running down the Mall, followed closely by Lincoln, Jefferson, the Washington Monument, and all of the World War II vets.

Other events of note from my trip:

-On one of my flights, I was sitting behind someone whom I was convinced was Michael Moore. I think it was the baseball cap and the thick neck. Anyway, it wasn't him.

-I became even more enamored (yes, enamored) with this album by the Shins. It's called "Oh, Inverted World". You have to sit with it and give it a chance, but once you do, kablam-o. I would recommend getting it. In the words of Ben Stiller in "Starsky and Hutch" -- "Do it. Do it."

-I must have seen about 14 trillion dead cicadas. It was pretty impressive, almost Biblical.

5 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger aaron said...

ABJ
Your posts are getting phenomenal. Absolutely wonderful.

And yes, I rarely understand people filming. I wonder if they sort of morbidly hope that the aliens from Independence Day, or a terrorist or something horrible will happen and THEY, and THEY alone will have the footage. But that's rough, to assume that it's your role to catalogue all the world in the hopes that some portion of your tiny existence intersects with mind-fuckingly bad events.

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...I don;t have a fucking Bloggershmogger account, so I have to post anonymously...maybe I like it like that, maybe I don;t...
Anyways...ABJ in DC rocks...you belong here. COME BACK!!!
Oh, and...I was in Dave...maybe thats why you like it so much (check me out in the baseball scene in Camden Yards...if you look real close you can see me...wait for it, wait for it, keep looking....right).
And...if you like Oh, Inverted World, you must check out Chutes Too Narrow...it'll blow your mind...
-D-money

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and I almost forgot...love the Postal Service reference...-D$

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should try the chipotle bol-- i thought i'd miss the allure of a nice, soft tortilla, but now there's no going back!

I realized on the drive down connecticut ave that the combination of wine, smirnoff twisted raspberry (mmmm), and deflowered shirley temples turns out to be more potent than one would think. monday morning was rough.

thanks, abj!!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger aaron said...

D-money....

Please. Go hug some trees, and resole your birks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home