Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Thoughts at the beginning of the Second Season

Sox (Red or White) aren't in the playoffs. For the Red Sox, first time they've missed it since 2002. I don't think I've really commented much about the season at all on here. For one, it was going really well for most of the season, up until a little thing called "Yankees 5-Game Sweep at Fenway in August". Didn't see that one coming. Couldn't have fathomed it. Another reason why I haven't ranted as much may be related to the still-lingering effects of 2004. That World Series title has been kind of like a mood stabilizer for my quaking Red Sox angst, a dose of Lithium to sooth the ups and downs of these bipolar baseball summers.

But it's a new season, and things must inevitably change. Just some words of advice for anyone making personnel decisions for the Sox: stick with guys whose last names end in Z. They've worked out well for us in the past. I'll give you examples if you like (feel free to add more):

Ortiz
Ramirez
Martinez
Gonzalez
Clemenz (well, maybe not that one)

So the post-season gets underway (Minnesota and Oakland are about to get it on as I write), and I have no team to support. Fortunately, however, the Cardinals remain in contention, and so there I will be on Saturday, at the New Busch Stadium, for Game 3 of the NLDS. If the cards fall right (no pun intended), I could be witness to the final game of another playoff sweep. More than likely, however, it will not be the decisive game of the series. But I'm looking forward to it all the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home