Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The fun never stops

Just 5 days into living in the new digs, Kia and I had our first guests. Well, first guests besides the cable guy, the water guy, the gas guy.......come to think of it, I've spent lots of time recently sitting around the apartment, waiting for guys......no comments, please. Anyway, on Thursday I went to pick up David and Meg at the fabulous Lambert St. Louis International Airport. Me being there was not a surprise. Meg being there was (for David). They totally made out when they saw each other. It was cute. And gross. But mainly cute.

Some of the highlights of their visit:

-Budweiser tour. Mandatory for all of my guests. Just like voting, you should do this early and often. It was the first tour for one of our tour guides. I think his name was Steve. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to see the canning and bottling part. So to make up for it, we stayed in the "Hospitality Parlor" extra long, eating pretzels. At least three more groups came in while we were still there. Take that, Anheiser-Busch.

-Arch. Also mandatory. We viewed it one night, while there was a concert there, then went up into it on a different day. David and I played a very competitive game of checkers while waiting to take one of the space pods to the top. I'm still waiting for McDonald's to somehow add another arch next to it and paint them both yellow.

-Cardinals game. These guys are good. We're talking playing October baseball good. Like late October. None of this early October crap. They've sort of been under the national media radar a little bit, which is surprising.....since they're SO DAMN GOOD. We got to see 4 home runs, 3 by the Cardinals, which makes our ticket stubs worth a free Big Mac. Also at the game were two older women, sitting next to me. Over the course of the game, I heard her tell her friend that she needs to have a boyfriend at each game (one of the players) who she will root for, and I also heard a story about the first time her mother took her to buy a bra. Also, never get the pretzel bites, or whatever they're called. They've got gross cheese inside them, which will spurt orgasmically out of the back onto either your pants or the person sitting in front of you. Bad news. Also, a woman was in the process of throwing up everywhere on the train ride home. Possible cause: the pretzel bites.

-Vintage Vinyl. Great music store. Think of the record store from "High Fidelity". Also, while there I registered to vote and got a little canvas bag that says "Civil Rights" on it for doing so. It's really odd. But it was free. I guess that's where I'll keep my civil rights from now on.

-Qdoba. An imitator, but not a duplicator, of Chipotle. It's a tight race, but there can be only one. Qdoba, you'll have to take the silver. I declare Chipotle the winner.

-20 new CDs. David brought me 20 new CDs. I'm set for a while. Nuff said.

-Paddleboating in Forest Park. Very fun, haven't done that here yet. And we brought Teak along too. He kept wanting to jump in the water and chase the ducks, but he's also kind of a wuss, so there was no danger of that.

-Saleem's. Restaurant in The Loop. Their slogan is "Where Garlic is King". You got that right, Saleem. Saleem doesn't play around. Nobody come near me for a few more weeks. But some of the best food I've had in a long time.

-Union Station. We passed on the chance to go to Hooters, opting for the Food Court instead. Then there was the Beatles store and watching the guys at the Fudge Factory sing and make fudge. It's always a good time.

You, too, could have this much fun if you join me in the Heartland of America! But first you have to visit (ahem.....) You know who you are.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger aaron said...

I wish I could visit. I miss you, and part of me misses the Midwest--land of my birth, land of little undulation.

Also, your commentary on the weekend was laugh out loud funny. The comment on where you will keep your civil rights if fucking brilliant. Well done sir, well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home