Friday, October 22, 2004

It's official (or "Rolen on the River")

Thanks to their gutsy vanquishing of the Houston Astros last night, I'm going (with a lucky-ass guest) to WS Game 4 on Wednesday night. Cheering for the Beantown Nine in Cardinal Country. I do have a Sox hat, but I've gotta get me some more gear. I feel that I should let the rest of the people around me know my position right away, so they're not all blown away when I start yelling my fool head off about Ortiz hitting one into the Mississippi. Now where to get a big styrofoam finger?

I'd like to feel sorry for the Astros, who have never been to the World Series in their 43-year existence. But 43 years vs. 86 years. There's just no comparison. If my graduate statistics class taught me anything, it's that 86 > 43.

So starting tomorrow night: two teams who battled back from the brink of elimination, duking it out. Unfortunately, I'm going to be in an airplane on my way to San Diego as it all happens, but what can you do? That's what highlights are for. Incidentally, if anyone reading this is also going to be in San Diego, look me up. Or call me. I'll be at the Society for Neuroscience meeting. Go neurons!

4 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger aaron said...

It's a fine life you are leading. Flying to San Diego and then coming back to watch the Red Sox in THE WORLD SERIES.

Congrats.

And yes, 86>43. I can confirm this. Also the Astros are crappy and from Texas. They used to play in ENRON field...that should be worth another 30 years of futility.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No liquer near Fenway!!

Say it ain't so?! One person dies and ya think the whole city went crazy. What's one person's death to that of Boston reaching a plateau it has reached at least four times in the last 80 plus years.

cheers!
noah

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

Really? I hadn't heard that. Let me investigate.....

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger ABJ said...

Apparently, Menino (the mayor of Boston) threatened to ban all alcohol in the area of Fenway Park but didn't follow through. But there's going to be a strong police presence in and around the bars in the area.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/10/22/city_backs_down_on_threat_to_ban_liquor_sales_during_series/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home