Wednesday, October 20, 2004

VICTORY!

Wow. I mean...wow. I mean....the last time the Sox went to the World Series I was 7. It was 1986. Let's go over that again -- the Boston Red Sox are going to the World Series.







YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tons of emotions and things going through my head right now. I had wanted to write a lot more before now, like last night and earlier in the game tonight, but if history has taught us anything, it's to leave everything alone and not discuss it until it's over. My friend, Pat, gets very mad when anyone emails or text messages him during Sox games, since he perceives that as a significant change in the environment and may alter the game's outcome. See, I'm not the only crazy one.

Ok, let's see if I can get some thoughts down:

-This may just exorcise the demons. This may just do it. This may be the one. For me, this makes up for years of pain, embarrassment, and frustration. Not only does it feel huge, it's historical, on many levels. No one's every done it. And to the Yankees no less. Graaaa!!!!

-The guys who had been struggling the whole series, and in some cases the whole season, came through, and came through BIG. Damon - 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, including a grand salami; Bellhorn, a decisive home run last night, an added homer tonight; and Derek Lowe, who was confined to the bullpen at the beginning of this series, and came up with the biggest game of his life, allowing 1 (one) hit to the Yanks. For six innings, he made the biggest bats in the league look silly. He came up big.

-Schilling. Pitching through the pain. Blood on the sock. Does this man want it or what???

-And Ortiz. ORTIZ!!! Big Papi came up big. Huge. MVP. How many times can he drag us out of the fire? Something tells me he's not done doing that.

-They left no doubt in game 7, they didn't eke by or squeeze a run out in the 14th to take the AL Championship. No, they scored early and they scored often and took the Yankees and their fans right out of it. It looks like Curt's wish about shutting up 55,000 New Yorkers came true, last night AND tonight. You worry when the Yankees score even 1 run, like the 1 run opens the floodgates for more. It's like the "Don't break the seal" mantra when you're drinking; once you break it, it all comes.

-In order to get a $50 gift certificate a week or so ago, I had to sign up for an EBay account and place a bid. I decided to place a $10 bid on a 2004 ALCS poster which, until tonight, I thought would go straight to my closet. I have a feeling that bid is going to jump up just a bit after tonight. But I'm getting that poster, dammit!

-My World Series tickets arrived today. Sweet, sweet irony. Well, not irony. But sweet all the same. SWEEEEEEEEET.

JKD posted a long while back about IAGL -- "I Am Genuinely Laughing". Well, IASLAF -- "I Am Smiling Like A Fool".

I sleep now. I happy. Hee.

3 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger aaron said...

Whew.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger sierradave said...

I have been shut up.

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a truly, truly amazing game. I am in awe. I am most in awe about johnny damon's hair. i mean, good lord-- how does it stay so sleek and shiny, even after those HRs? He takes off his helmet, shakes his head, and out flows these luscious locks--wow. He really may be the next coming of Jesus Cristo. At the very least he should consider Pantene commercials...

(--scruff)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home