Thursday, September 15, 2005

I've got the Blues

So I am now a third year grad student. Yes, hard to believe. In some way, some part of me still feels like the new guy, like I'm just getting my feet wet, just settling into this role, just feeling my way around this city, when in fact I am roughly halfway through this labyrinth (sp?) that will eventually end in me having a PhD and (hopefully) a few career options. It's a little daunting, a little exciting, a little...of everything. Two entirely new classes have come in since I got here. I'm starting to be the one who should have the answers, who should know things. It's a new role. I'll try to embrace it.

Anyway, here in my third year as a clinical psych grad student I am doing something called practicum, which is where you go for 10 hours a week to a hospital or somewhere else and you actually do what it is you've been learning to do for the past two years. Testing, psychotherapy, etc. In my case, I'm doing neuropsych testing on people who have had brain injuries and strokes. It's interesting stuff so far, challenging, fascinating, at times wrenching, especially when other family members are there and have to come to grips with the fact that someone they love has probably changed permanently and will never quite be the person they were before. So that's the heavier stuff.

The stuff that is less heavy and more fun happened last night. As part of an NHL program to make sure that hockey players don't come back too soon following a concussion or head injury, all players get neuropsych testing prior to the season, to get a baseline of cognitive functioning. Then, if (or when) they have a concussion, they get tested again to see if they are ok to play. That's where I come in. I tested a couple of guys from the St. Louis Blues last night to get their baselines. Pretty cool stuff. If I remember correctly, I tested this guy and one other guy. I think more are coming tonight, but unfortunately I can't go. I must admit, I was a little star-struck, even though I didn't really recognize anyone. Something about professional athletes is just sort of impressive.

3 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger aaron said...

That guy is crazy old. He's 13 years older than me. He's a 39 yr old hockey player. That can't be good.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...what'd he get on his WAIS?!?!?!?!
-D$

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is old...he used to play for the Hartford Whalers, back when there actually was a Hartford Whalers team. Oh, the old days...but alas, I digress...
-D$

 

Post a Comment

<< Home