Monday, September 19, 2005

On the precipice (Red Sox Rant #1)

That's it -- they pushed me to the limit. I made it almost an entire season without one good Red Sox Rant, but this is just too much. With the events of tonight complete, including a Sox loss at the hands of the bottom-feeding Devil Rays and a Yankees win thanks to a walk-off home run by a guy named Bubba, the NYY are .5 games behind. Basically, they're tied. Let's be honest. Half a game? This is an artificial thing. For all intents and purposes (up until very recently, I actually thought this phrase was spoken "For all intensive purposes"), they are in a tie. My only consolation is that the Sox are still, through a statistical technicality, still on the top line, where they have been since June 24. If memory serves me, the Yankees have spent less than 48 hours by themselves on that top line this season, but it is quite possible that tomorrow at this time they could be occupying the top line all by their lonesome. They hung around. They hung around all season. They won, they lost, they even spent some time in last place, but you just knew New York would make a run. So now, with two weeks left, it's put up or shut up. Thank God for Cleveland. I love that they're still front runners for the wild card. I just hope Boston won't be competing with them for it.

At least there's the Patriots....eugh. They're 1-1, playing Pitt this weekend. When was the last time they had a losing record? I can't even remember.

And then there are my fantasy football teams. Maybe we won't discuss those right now.

It's raining. I hate sports!!

I'm going to bed.

3 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also thought the phrase was "intensive purposes" for the longest time. I kinda like it better that way.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger aaron said...

Now that I've read this whole, "intensive purposes" thing, I can't stop using the expression (the correct one, but still).

Damn you and your subliminal powers.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger sierradave said...

On the subject of the Patriots, I need to point out (since it will be my only chance for the next few decades) that the Redskins are 2-0. My football team has a better record than your football team. This, by the way, makes me a better person than you. Funny how that works out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home